Monday, March 30, 2009

Holi 2009 - Salt Lake City, UT

Last Saturday I have been to a Holi festival in Salt Lake City at Sri Krishna Temple. In India, Holi announces the arrival of spring and the passing of winter that people celebrate with colors. When we reached the temple, the ambiance of the whole place did make me feel at home in India. There were about 15,000 people gathered for the celebration, all painted with the colors, enjoying with friends and family. I didn’t expect the event to be so huge and it really surprised me to see the fondness of the Indian culture among the westerners.

There was a band playing Hare Krishna in the middle of the ground with people chanting and dancing along on the rhythm. Everyone seemed to be enchanted with the colors of the festival, throwing colored powder at anyone and everyone around them.
A glance from the event:



The only thing that let me down in the event was the food. I was expecting a delicious Indian meal at the festival, but it turned out to be appalling. It didn’t taste to be Indian at all.

Apart from the food, I enjoyed every bit of the event and expect to see more of the events as this coming up in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment